Rich Fish Curry
Rich Fish Curry
- 1 medium onion, roughly chopped
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
- ½ cup fresh coriander stems and roots, chopped
- ¼ tsp dried chilli flakes
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- 1 tsp Thai shrimp paste (optional)
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 165ml light coconut cream
- 1 lemongrass stalk
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
- 1x 420g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 medium carrot, sliced
- 1 small head broccoli florets
- 600g white fish fillets, diced
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- In a food processor blend onion, garlic, ginger, coriander stems and roots, chilli flakes, ground turmeric and Thai shrimp paste until smooth.
- In a large saucepan heat canola oil.
- Add blended curry paste to saucepan and fry gently for approximately 5 minutes.
- To the curry paste add the coconut cream, lemongrass, water, brown sugar, lemon or lime juice and tomatoes.
- Bring to a gentle simmer and cook for approximately 30 minutes or until the sauce has reduced by about one third.
- To the thickened sauce add the carrots, broccoli and fish.
- Cook for about 5 minutes or until the fish is just cooked through and the vegetables are tender.
- Serve with coriander leaves on top. This recipe serves 4 people.
This recipe has been developed by the Heart Foundation. The Heart Foundation provides support for the hospitality industry with resources, tools and information to help chefs produce exceptional, healthy food. For more information and recipes visit the Hospitality Hub.